Manufactured by Buff & Buff, Boston, Massachusetts, serial #12759. Both George Buff and Christian Louis Berger immigrated to this country and became partners of Buff & Berger in the 1870s. The partnership was dissolved in 1898, at which time Berger organized C.L. Berger & Sons, a noted manufacturer of surveying equipment. Buff also organized his own company, Buff & Buff. The company went out of business in 1962. The company's transits were exceptionally machined and crafted, and were selected for use in building the Panama Canal due to their precision and excellence.