USGS - science for a changing world

About USGS

Maps, Imagery, and Publications Hazards Newsroom Education Jobs Partnerships Library About USGS Social Media

Museum > FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

We encourage you to e-mail your comments or suggestions to Bruce Geyman.

Museum Property vs. Display Property? The Museum Property collection consists of a variety of natural history specimens, documents, artwork and artifacts that represent the history of the USGS. Display property, on the other hand, is comprised of objects which are often assembled for public outreach efforts because they are representative of the various kinds of equipment that have been utilized to carry out USGS program missions.

Who records and tracks Museum Property? Accessioning, cataloging, tracking, and database maintenance are carried out by the USGS headquarters Property Management Branch which has responsibility for the planning, direction, and administration of the Museum Property management program.

Who repairs and conserves USGS artwork and artifacts? Most conservation work is done by outside contractors, with the technical and administrative activities carried out by the USGS headquarters Property Management Branch.

Loan of Artwork? Anyone displaying identified bureau "museum property" as office art is required to complete a Museum Property Loan Agreement and assumes custodial responsibility for the item(s) on display.

Museum Property Main Page || Contact Information || Collections || Exhibits || FAQs || Related Links

Accessibility FOIA Privacy Policies and Notices logo U.S. Department of the Interior | U.S. Geological Survey
Page Contact Information: Ask USGS
Page Last Modified: Tuesday, July 08, 2014