Pacific Island Ecosystems Research Center Staff
- Atkinson, Carter - Microbiologist
- Banko, Paul - Wildlife Biologist
- Bonaccorso, Frank - Wildlife Biologist
- Foote, David - Ecologist
- Fortini, Lucas - Ecologist
- Hess, Steve - Wildlife Biologist
- Jacobi, Jim - Biologist
- LaPointe, Dennis - Research Ecologist
- Loope, Lloyd - Research Biologist
- Medeiros, Arthur - Botanist
- Paxton, Eben - Avian Ecologist
- Pratt, Linda - Botanist
- Reynolds, Michelle - Wildlife Biologist
- Yelenik, Stephanie - Botanist
Pacific Island Ecosystems Research Center Lead Scientists
David Foote Ph.D.
Title Research Ecologist
Phone (808) 985-6427
Mailing address USGS Pacific Island Ecosystems Research Center
Kilauea Field Station
P.O. Box 44
Hawaii National Park, HI 96718
|B.S. 1984 Zoology, University of California, Berkeley|
|M.S. 1988 Ecology, University of California, Davis|
|Ph.D. 1998 Ecology, University of California, Davis|
Expertise / Specialty:
Invasion Ecology, Integrated Pest Management, Conservation Biology of Native Invertebrates in Hawaii.
Status and Trends of Endemic Hawaiian Invertebrates; Restoration Ecology and Management of Invasive Species.
- Rare Arthropods of National Parks (including Special Ecological Areas)
- Control of Invasive Yellowjacket Wasps
- Testing broadcast toxicants for control of invasive rodents
- Integrated management of alien predators
- Ecological response of Hawaiian communities to predator removal
- Inventory and Restoration Ecology of Anchialine Pool Biota
Select Publications :
- Hobbelen, P.H.F., M.D. Samuel, D. Foote, L. Tango, D.A. LaPointe. 2013. Modeling the impacts of global warming on predation and biotic resistance: mosquitoes, damselflies and avian malaria in Hawaii. Theoretical Ecology 6: 31-44.
- Hanna, C., D. Foote and C. Kremen. 2013. Invasive species management restores a plant-pollinator mutualism in Hawaii. Journal of Applied Ecology. 50(1):147-155.
- Spurr, E.B., D. Foote, C. Forbes Perry, and G.D. Lindsey. 2013. Efficacy of hand-broadcast application of baits containing 0.005% diphacinone in reducing rat populations in Hawaiian forests. Hawaii Cooperative Studies Unit Technical Report 43
- Tango, L.K., D. Foote, K.N. Magnacca, S.J. Foltz, K. Cutler. 2012. Biological inventory of anchialine pool invertebrates at Pu‘uhonua o Hōnaunau National Historical Park and Pu‘ukoholā Heiau National Historic Site, Hawai‘i Island. Pacific Cooperative Studies Unit Technical Report No. 181. 24pp.
- Foote, D., C. Hanna, C. King, and E. B. Spurr. 2011. Efficacy of fipronil for the suppression of invasive yellowjacket wasps in Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park. Hawaii Cooperative Studies Unit Technical Report 28
To view PDF files, the latest version of Adobe Reader (free of charge) or similar software is needed.