U.S. Geological Survey - Ecosystems
Quick Response Awards FY2009 (Eastern Region)12/09/2008
Even though we are in a Continuing Resolution perhaps until March, I thought I would make sure you were aware that you project has been selected for funding by the Eastern Region Quick Response Program (QRP). Here is the list of projects for 2009:
It is possible that the new administration may approve federal budgets quickly upon assuming office in January so they can move on to more flashy issues. Therefore, it would be a good idea to begin preparation of the study plan for these projects which must be signed off and deliverd to me before I release funding.
I'll reiterate some of the guidance that has been provided other years
The following needs to be sent to me to approve release of funds:
1. A copy of the peer reviewed study plan that includes the signature of the Center Director, or Cooperative Research Unit Supervisor approving
NOTE: The Eastern Regional Office does not set up tasks or subtasks for QRP within a QRP Project in BASIS+. Rather, you and your center should determine the appropriate science project within BASIS under which this study logically falls and create your task or subtask there.
I have attached an information sheet which gives details about the QRP program, study selection, study plan development, and project management information. The most important points are as follows:
1. PI's should work with the USGS and FWS project coordinators to develop a study plan that meets the management needs identified in the original QRP proposal.
2. Study plans must undergo normal Science Center, Cooperative Research Unit, or other approved peer review procedures.
4. A copy of the final signed study plan and BASIS+ information must be filed in the Office of the Eastern Regional Biologist before funds are released.
5. Products from the study should include at a minimum: a written final report to FWS and USGS, and an oral presentation to FWS summarizing the findings of the completed study.
6. If it is available, please include a copy of the original proposal from the FWS with your study plan.
I have attached a Microsoft Word form which I use for annual reports. Please fill this out for your project (identify the report type as "initial") and return it to me electronically. I will use this information to find your study in BASIS and the report will be included in my annual status report to FWS.
If you have any questions about this process or problems meeting this deadline, please contact me any time.
I'll try to keep you all posted as the FY unfolds and get the funds out to you as soon as the study plan is complete and the funds are available.
David P. Bornholdt
USGS Eastern Regional Office