Using Landsat Data - 8 of 15
Using Landsat Data FAQs - 15 Found
Nighttime (ascending) Landsat scenes can only be searched and downloaded or requested for processing through EarthExplorer.
To search for nighttime scenes, you need to know either the daytime (descending) path/row, or the coordinates of your area of interest. Nighttime path/row numbers are not the same as daytime path/row numbers.
If the nighttime path/row or coordinates are known, follow these steps:
- Access EarthExplorer
- On the Search Criteria tab, enter the Coordinates (if known)
- On the Data Set tab, select the desired Landsat Archive dataset(s)
- On the Additional Criteria tab for each dataset, enter the WRS Path and WRS Row, and change the Day_Night selection to Night.
- Click the Results tab. Once the results are returned, scenes can either be downloaded or a request can be submitted for processing.
If the ascending path/row is not known, access the USGS WRS-2 Path/Row to Latitude/Longitude Converter.
- Enter the daytime path/row into the first section and click Convert. The Latitude/Longitude coordinates will be displayed above the map.
- Click on the 'Convert from Latitude/Longitude to WRS-2 Path/Row' button, and enter in the coordinates displayed.
- Click Ascending Node, and then Convert.
- The Ascending (nighttime) path and row will be displayed above the map.
- Use the coordinates or nighttime path/row in your search on EarthExplorer, using the instructions above.
Note: Cloud cover values for night scenes will always be zero for Landsat 7 images. Please see this FAQ for more information.