Did You Feel It? - 7 of 12
Did You Feel It? FAQs - 12 Found
How is my "Did you feel it?" input used?
You are one of almost 1 million people who have completed a Did You Feel It? questionnaire, and your input is used in a variety of ways. How it helps us:
- Immediate high quality and large quantity of data.
- Cost-effective means of collecting data (replaced expensive and slow postal questionnaires).
- Helps constrain instrumental data used for ShakeMap and PAGER.
- Provides data in areas where there are no seismic instruments.
- Provides data for smaller earthquakes that we can't normally record.
How it helps others:
- Provides a rapid assessment of the extent of shaking and damage for emergency responders.
- Confirms experiences of shaking for other people.
How it helps you:
- You learn the difference between magnitude and intensity.
- Helps you feel more in control of your experience.
- Opportunity to share your experience with others.
- Opportunity to contribute to the advancement of earthquake science.
Some interesting and unusual observations:
- Mapped out the trajectory of a space shuttle re-entry across Southern California.
- Sonic booms...