What is Public Participation?
Public Participation is the direct engagement of all voices in a planned effort to make responsible and sustainable decisions.
Eight Key principles of Public Participation
- Establish clear commitment to excellent Public Participation
- Base the level of Public Participation on the Agency's intent
- Be transparent in all actions
- Ensure all voices are heard
- Focus the process on the public interest and values
- Value relationships
- Base decision making on good information
- Invest in the necessary resources in planning public participation
Where to learn more:
- Public Participation Training Webcast (CD available, contact USGS CADR for more information)