In Reply Refer To:
Mail Stop 201
November 16, 2011
To: All USGS Employees
From: Karen D. Baker //s// Brian Wachter
Associate Director for Administration and Enterprise Information
Subject: DOI LEARN
This is a reminder for all USGS employees to utilize the Department of Interior (DOI) learning management system, DOI LEARN for all training. DOI adopted this system as part of an E-Gov initiative in 2006. The system consolidated and established a single, DOI source for scheduled courses, training records and online course delivery. All Interior bureaus are required to use DOI LEARN. DOI LEARN can be accessed at http://www.doi.gov/doilearn/index.cfm.
The current system (Version 5.0) offers the following benefits:
- One level of electronic approval in the system (there is no forwarding capability beyond this level).
- Supervisors do not need to approve most DOI mandatory training.
- Standard reports are incorporated into DOI LEARN for use by Supervisors and Instructors allowing monitoring of training completions. The report filter feature enables the user to define all information needed.
- DOI LEARN can be accessed from any computer with an Internet browser (preferably Internet Explorer (IE)).
- As a role based system, all USGS Employees are responsible for their own training requests in the system.
- Employees can print their transcripts of completed training at any time.
- USGS Instructors can create and manage their own classes.
- DOI LEARN does not automatically obligate funds in FFS. This requires Administrative Officers or other Employees with financial responsibilities to manually obligate funds as necessary.
- Contractors, Volunteers and Emeritus may use the system as "External" users to request training, subject to approval by a USGS manager.
- USGS Employees can search the course catalog for any Interior bureau and may register for available courses.
- DOI LEARN allows employees to input "External" classes (training not listed in the catalog) using an electronic SF-182 Training Authorization.
The Office of Organizational and Employee Development (OED), working with other Interior bureaus, continues to provide cyber seminars for the various roles in DOI LEARN. Register to attend a DOI LEARN webinar by searching the DOI LEARN course catalog for "DOI LEARN Upgrade Introduction." All employees should review and update their profiles before requesting any training.
Specific questions about DOI LEARN should be referred to the Help Desk at: 1-866-466-1998 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For additional support, please visit the USGS Human Capital Web Site at http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/ecd/ecd_trainingdoi.html
If you have any questions please let me know.