In Reply Refer To:
Mail Stop 201
August 7, 2012
To: All U.S. Geological Survey Employees and Contractors
From: Diane K. Wade //s// Diane K. Wade
Associate Director for Administration and Enterprise Information
and Acting Associate Director for Human Capital
Subject: Mandatory Training, U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) Sustainability and Environmental Management System Awareness, due September 14, 2012
The purpose of this memorandum is to announce the new Environmental Management System (EMS) training requirement. As USGS continues to make progress toward establishing a bureauwide EMS by December 2012, we need to provide general EMS awareness training to all employees and contractors working on behalf of the bureau. All personnel will have roles and responsibilities in the EMS. Supervisors should ensure that their employees and contractors complete the training module entitled “U.S. Geological Survey Sustainability and Environmental Management System Awareness” no later than September 14, 2012, in DOI Learn. All new employees must complete this training within 60 days of being hired. This training will take approximately 30 to 40 minutes to complete.
The EMS training is only available through the DOI Learn portal. Alternate methods to complete this training are not available at this time. Please do not request waivers for this training.
To access the course:
1. Log in to DOI Learn at https://gm2.geolearning.com/geonext/doi/login.geo.
2. On your Home Page, select the "Access My Required Training" link.
3. Select the course entitled, “USGS Sustainability and Environmental Management System Awareness."
4. Click on the "Open" button.
5. Click on the course link to begin the training.
6. After you have completed the course, select the"Access My Required Training" link.
7. Select the "History" tab.
8. Select the course entitled, “USGS Sustainability and Environmental Management System Awareness."
9. Click on the "Print Certificate" button
If you have any questions about DOI Learn, please contact the DOI Learn Help Desk at 1-866-466-1998 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Any technical problems with this training course are usually related to older versions of Flash Player and Java or to incompatible Web browser settings. These problems usually can be resolved by contacting either the USGS Service Desk (703-648-HELP) or your local computer support staff.
If you have any questions regarding the content of the training or need guidance, please contact Paul Kallus at email@example.com or 703-648-7596.