Promoting a culture within the USGS that recognizes, supports and honors supervisors for the crucial role they play in ensuring the excellence of our science.
The program strives to develop supervisors who…
- believe people are as important as science
- are equipped with a “moral compass” and well-developed leadership skills
- are strong communicators with the ability to promote teamwork, address conflict and give constructive feedback
- know the “rules of engagement” for supervisors at USGS
- are not afraid to make tough decisions and can balance the need to be “Mr Nice Guy” with the need to protect the integrity of USGS
- routinely hire the right person for the job, communicate clear expectations to their employees, develop their employees’ potential and motivate them to do their best work
- are credible in dealing with the science of USGS
** Please note, leadership and supervisory courses (Leadership Intensives, Leadership 101 and 201, and Supervisory Challenge) have been postponed until further notice. **
Are You Ready to be a Supervisor?
Have you been thinking about applying for a supervisory position but you’re just not sure if you have what it takes? This class is for you! It is FREE to all USGS employees and will be offered in both classroom and webinar formats.
- April 3-4, 2013, Denver, CO
- June 12-13, 2013, Reston, VA
- Register for the class dates of your choice in DOI Learn.
Webinar Training—4 part series (12:00 - 2:00 PM MT on each date listed below)
- July 9
- July 23
- August 6
- August 20
- Register for the webinar series by sending an email to Kathy Faison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see the "Are You Ready to be a Supervisor?" class information.
January 28 - February 1, 2013
April 22-26, 2013
May 20-24, 2013
DOI Supervisory Training Options
Please visit the DOI University Web site to see upcoming dates and locations.
Please register for the USGS and DOI supervisory classes in DOI Learn.