Promoting a culture within the USGS that recognizes, supports and honors supervisors for the crucial role they play in ensuring the excellence of our science.
The program strives to develop supervisors who…
- believe people are as important as science
- are equipped with a “moral compass” and well-developed leadership skills
- are strong communicators with the ability to promote teamwork, address conflict and give constructive feedback
- know the “rules of engagement” for supervisors at USGS
- are not afraid to make tough decisions and can balance the need to be “Mr Nice Guy” with the need to protect the integrity of USGS
- routinely hire the right person for the job, communicate clear expectations to their employees, develop their employees’ potential and motivate them to do their best work
- are credible in dealing with the science of USGS
The Office of Organizational and Employee Development (OED) has received approval to hold Supervisory Challenge classes during FY2014. Classes are scheduled for:
January 27-31, 2014
April 14-18, 2014
May 5-9, 2014
DOI Supervisory Training Options
Please visit the DOI University Web site to see upcoming dates and locations.
Please register for the USGS and DOI supervisory classes in DOI Learn.