To: All USGS Research and Development Employees, Supervisors and Managers
From: Chip Groat, Director
Subject: Guidance on the Research and Development Evaluation Processes
The review of our research and development (R&D) scientists is an essential process for the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). The panel review process evaluates the R&D work and contributions of our scientists, focusing on the demonstration of excellence in our scientific pursuits, the leadership we provide in this work, and the impact it has on science and its applications. Consistent, objective, and fair reviews are a critical requirement for maintaining the vitality of the USGS R&D programs and they provide an incentive for high quality scientific productivity.
The recently completed Research and Development Evaluation Process Handbook describes the panel review process for R&D scientists in the USGS. The handbook is the result of two years of work by the Discipline Chief Scientists and representatives of the Office of Employee Development and Policy and Strategic Initiatives Team of the Office of Human Resources. The handbook and other supporting materials can be accessed on our internal Web site.
The handbook provides guidance on how to interpret the Research Grade Evaluation (RGEG) and Equipment Development Grade Evaluation Guide (EDGEG), which were developed by the Office of Human Resources Management and gives procedural guidance on management of the panel evaluation processes. An overview presentation on the new process is planned for December 7th in Menlo Park, California, December the 8th in Denver, Colorado, and January the 6th in Reston, Virginia. Times and locations for these sessions will be posted on the Website and through the employee bulletin board. Additionally, comprehensive web based training will be available on the Website in January.
I urge all of our R&D scientists, those who aspire to be classified as research or development scientists, and science supervisors and managers to become familiar with the handbook. In order for the USGS to remain a world leader in the natural sciences through scientific excellence and responsiveness to society's needs, we must value and support the process by which we recognize the accomplishments of R&D scientists whose work will provide creative solutions now and in the future.
Download the Entire Research and Development Evaluation Process Handbook (PDF, 296K) (Includes all Exhibits except A-1, B-1, B-3 and D-3)
Selected Exhibits for Individual Download
- Exhibit A-1: OPM's Research Grade Evaluation Guide (PDF, 262K)
- Exhibit A-2: Assessing the Four Factors in Research Assignments (PDF, 38K)
- Exhibit A-3: Research Grade Evaluation Guide Checklist (PDF, 72K)
- Exhibit A-4: Panel Member Evaluation Score Form for Research Scientists (PDF, 27K) (Word, 25K)
- Exhibit A-5: Individual Summary Evaluation Score Form for Research Scientists (PDF, 50K) (Word, 35K)
- Exhibit A-6: Individual Panel Results Form for Research Scientists (PDF, 21K) (Word, 25K)
- Exhibit A-7: Panel Recommendation Summary Form for Research Scientists (PDF, 59K) (Word, 45K)
- Exhibit B-1: OPM's Equipment Development Grade Evaluation Guide (pdf, 111K)
- Exhibit B-2: OPM's Equipment Development Grade Evaluation Guide (pdf, 111K)
- Exhibit B-3: Equipment Development Grade Evaluation Guide Checklist (pdf, 32K)
- Exhibit B-4: Panel Member Score Form for Development Scientists (pdf, 34K) (Word, 25K)
- Exhibit B-5: Individual Summary Evaluation Score Form for Development Scientists (pdf, 51K) (Word, 35K)
- Exhibit B-6: Individual Panel Results Form for Development Scientists (pdf, 21K) (Word, 25K)
- Exhibit B-7: Panel Recommendation Summary Form for Development Scientists (pdf, 63K) (Word, 44K)
- Exhibit C-1: Research/Development Scientist Record (pdf, 41K) (Word, 37K)
- Sample: Example Research/Development Scientist Record (pdf, 232K)
- Exhibit D-1: Letter Requesting Evaluation of Senior Scientist Candidates (pdf, 22K) (Word, 26K)
- Exhibit D-2: Letter Requesting Evaluation of Current Senior Scientists (pdf, 22K) (Word, 26K)
- Exhibit D-3: ST Evaluation Checklist (pdf, 88K)
- Research PD Writer - An online tool to assist in writing Research Position Descriptions
- Model Position Description
- Assistant Unit Leader, Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit Research Wildlife Biologist, Research Fish Biologist, Research Ecologist, GS-486/482/408, Grades 12 to 15 (pdf, 27K) (Word, 65K)
- Unit Leader, Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit Research Wildlife Biologist, Research Fish Biologist, Research Ecologist, GS-486/482/408, Grades 13 to 15 (pdf, 37K) (Word, 78K)
- How to Write a Research Position Description (pdf, 29K) (Word, 69K)
Power Point training (PPT, 2.7 MB) describing the process, roles and responsibilities and guidance for evaluating research and development staff in the USGS.