In Reply Refer To:
Mail Stop 601A
May 9, 2014
To: Executive Leadership Team
Cost Center Chiefs
From: William H. Werkheiser (Signed)
Acting Deputy Director
Subject: Delegations of Authority for Work Hours and Hiring
The purpose of this memorandum is to provide an update to my previous guidance regarding delegation of authorities as a result of sequestration.
Effective immediately, approval for the following is delegated to the Cost Center Chief level:
- Compensatory time
- Compensatory time related to travel (or other activities)
- Increase in hours (change from part time to full time or increase in hours under a current part time work schedule)
Hiring Freeze and Other Personnel Actions:
On February 18, 2014, the Department of the Interior issued a memorandum allowing greater flexibility to bureaus and offices to manage their workforce by delegating the hiring decisions within the organization. Modifications to the process for requesting an exemption to the hiring freeze have been made as follows:
- Approval of e-waiver requests are now delegated to the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) members
- Offices of Human Resources and Budget will remain a "Reviewer" in the process
- Approval of e-waiver request from either the Deputy Director or the Director is required for hiring of direct reports to an ELT member
- Office of Administration will no longer serve as "Reviewers"
- Waivers are no longer required for extending temporary or TERM appointments
Attached is an updated list of the types of personnel actions that are permitted during the hiring freeze and the types of actions that must have an approved waiver. Additional guidance regarding the hiring freeze, the waiver criteria, and the procedures for requesting a waiver are posted on the USGS Intranet at: http://www.usqs.gov/humancapital/sw/hiringfreezeguidance.html.
As a reminder, all requests for STAR Awards for non-SES, SL, and ST employees must be approved by the appropriate ELT member. All requests for STAR Awards for SES, SL, and ST employees require approval by the Executive Resources Board at the Department in addition to ELT concurrence.
Questions concerning this guidance should be directed to your servicing Human Resources Office.
Attachment 1 lists the types of personnel actions that are permitted during the freeze and the types of actions that must have an approved waiver.