SAFRR - Science Application for Risk Reduction
June 27, 2015
SAFRR Presents for Disaster Healthcare Training Event
SAFRR's Erin Burkett presented as the keynote speaker at the Los Angeles County Disaster Healthcare Volunteer Surge Unit training event on Saturday, June 27th in Monterey Park, CA. Erin shared an overview of earthquake science, technology, and impacts, including resources and information from the ShakeOut Scenario and on Earthquake Early Warning. The audience included about 400 physicians, nurses, and other licensed or certified healthcare professionals currently working in healthcare settings within the Los Angeles area. More about the Disaster Healthcare Volunteers.
June 3, 2015
ESC Seminar: HayWired Scenario Progress Discussion
SAFRR and HayWired project partners presented a progress update on the HayWired Scenario for the Earthquake Science Center (ESC) seminar in Menlo Park on June 3rd (available to view online). The HayWired Scenario aims to identify impacts associated with a M7.0 earthquake on the Hayward fault in the San Francisco Bay area, and HayWired team efforts include investigations into vulnerabilities of buildings and communities and highlighting impacts of aftershock sequences in addition to the main earthquake. At the ESC seminar, SAFRR's Lucy Jones provided an intro and overview of HayWired, Keith Porter (U. of Colorado) highlighted hazards to buildings and code objectives, and Anne Wein (Western Geographic Science Center) presented aftershock sequences and communities at risk. Discussion focused on opportunities for ESC involvement in and use of the scenario toward the ongoing goals of improving USGS research and communication products.
June 3, 2015
Lucy Jones Awarded Honorary Membership in SEAOSC
On June 3rd, SAFRR?s Lucy Jones was awarded honorary membership in the Structural Engineers Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) in recognition of her work with the City of LA for the Resilience by Design project. More information about the SEAOSC event.
May 6-7, 2015
SAFRR Holds "Six Guidelines Design Storm"
On May 6th and 7th, 2015, SAFRR's Sue Perry convened a workshop that united experts from risk communication, USGS science, and the USGS Menlo Park publications team to participate in a "Six Guidelines Design Storm" in Menlo Park, CA. SAFRR's Erin Burkett and Dale Cox also participated and assisted Sue with coordination. This workshop continues efforts by SAFRR's Cadre of Relevant Experts (CORE) to improve the use and understanding of USGS science. Previous workshops identified "Six Guidelines for Successful Science Products", which will be published as a USGS circular in September, 2015. This workshop applied the Six Guidelines in a trial run to brainstorm and prototype an infographic about the Six Guidelines and discuss future possibilities for use by USGS scientists. The longer term goal is to incorporate the Six Guidelines around the USGS without taxing limited resources.
- 12/2013: 2013 AGU Fall Meeting Presentations by SAFRR Staff
- 12/3/2013: SAFRR Team Retreat
- 11/18/13: Tsunami Walkouts Planned
- 9/4/13: USGS Releases the SAFRR Tsunami Scenario Report
- 8/23/13: SAFRR Contributes to Understanding of Evacuation Behaviors
- 8/14/13: Lucy Jones presents on Earthquakes and ARkStorm at LAX for Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA)
- 7/23/13: Dr. Erin Burkett presents "Summer of Safety" Seminar for Capital Group
- 7/8-8/13: SAFRR, Art Center, and others collaborate in an Earthquake Risk Communication Design Storm
- 7/1/13: SAFRR and LA Children's Hospital Convene a Meeting on Children and Earthquakes
- 6/14/13: SAFRR Partners with Hawaiian Civil Defense to Assist Tsunami Messaging Efforts
- 6/9/13: Erin Burkett Presents on Earthquakes and Seismic Instrumentation at CSTE Annual Meeting
- 5/13: Sue Nami public service announcement now available online
- 5/6-7/13: Lucy Jones speaks at IAPH 28th World Ports Conference about Tsunami Risk and Mitigation Tools
- 5/6/13: Lucy Jones speaks at IAPH 28th World Ports Conference about tsunami risk to ports and mitigation tools
- 4/29/13: Seismologist Warns 'More Earthquakes' Coming to SoCal - CBSLA KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO
- 4/21/13: Quakes & Water: Lucy Jones of USGS and Jeff Kightlinger of MWD - NBC News Conference
- 4/20/13: Early quake warning system for Southern California gets $5 million - LA Times article
- 4/19/13: $5 Million in UASI Funding for EEW Secured by USGS Partnerships
- 4/19/13: Southern California gets $5 million for earthquake warning system - 89.3 KPCC Public Radio article
- 4/19/13:USGS To Get $5M For SoCal Early Quake Warning System - CBS LA NewsRadio article
- 4/15/13: Lucy Jones presents to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers about earthquake impacts on downtown LA - DVIDS U.S. Army Corps article
- 3/27/13: Lucy presents on Earthquake Preparedness at LA Children's Hospital Injury Prevention Alliance Annual Symposium
- 3/1/13: Lucy Jones Presenting First Fridays Science Discussion at LA Natural History Museum: "Living in Earthquake Country" (Info and Podcast)
- 2/25/2013: Welcoming Dr. Erin Burkett to USGS and the SAFRR Project