MENLO PARK, Calif. — The U.S. Geological Survey Volcano Notification Service is now available for subscription.
VNS is a free service that sends email notifications about the status of volcanic activity and other significant events at volcanoes in the United States. VNS can be customized to deliver reports for certain volcanoes, or a region of volcanoes, and for the types of notifications desired.
The five USGS Volcano Observatories issue notifications on a regular basis and when activity is elevated within their area of responsibility:
- Alaska and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (Alaska Volcano Observatory)
- Washington, Oregon, and Idaho (Cascades Volcano Observatory)
- Hawaii (Hawaiian Volcano Observatory)
- California and Nevada (California Volcano Observatory)
- Arizona, Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, Utah and Wyoming (Yellowstone Volcano Observatory)
Reporters and news media outlets can now have critical information about current U.S. volcanic activity delivered via email directly from the USGS as soon as it’s available.
To subscribe, visit http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vns/.
For additional information about subscription parameters, visit http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vns/help.php.