PROCEDURES FOR IMPLEMENTING A REDUCTION IN FORCE
Before a Reduction-in-Force ( RIF ) may be implemented, the following procedures must be followed:
1. Management and Decision Process
The approving official has consulted with the servicing Human Resources Specialist about the anticipated plans to ensure a RIF action is appropriate. The approving official has submitted in writing the reasons to the Servicing Personnel Officer for implementing a RIF in their organization.
2. Coordination, Consultation, and Information Process
The Servicing Personnel Officer has reviewed and concurred on the decisions that led to the RIF and has ensured that all plans and procedures related to the RIF are in place and that all policies, regulations, and legal requirements have been/will be met. The SPO will need to ensure there is adequate time to implement the RIF (e.g., ensure employee records are accurate such as position descriptions, competitive levels, service computation dates, appraisals, veterans preference, and tenure in order to establish a retention register) and issue the notice before the proposed effective date.
3. Implementation Process
- The Servicing Personnel Officer has notified the Headquarters Personnel Officer of the pending RIF action.
- The Headquarters Personnel Officer has notified the Deputy Director of the pending RIF action.
- The approving official has worked with the Servicing Personnel Office to notify the appropriate Solicitor's Office and ensure that all bona fides and issues/decisions that may have to be defended have been cleared. Documentation of this approval must be maintained.
- The approving official has worked with the Servicing Personnel Office to notify the appropriate Office of Congressional Relations so that Office can notify the appropriate Congressional officials. Documentation of this notification must be maintained.
Return to Survey Manual Table
Return to Survey Manual
Return to Survey Manual Home Page
U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S.
Geological Survey, Reston, VA, USA
Contact: APS, Office of Policy
Issuing Office: Office of Personnel
Content Information Contact:-- Jo Ann Dack, (303) 236-9560,