308.54 - USGS Ethics Committee
OPR: Director's Office
1. Establishment. Established by order of the Director, December 1990.
2. Purpose or Function. The Ethics Committee is responsible for providing advice and counsel to the Director on issues relating to employee ethics responsibilities and their first amendment rights. The functions and responsibilities of the Committee include:
A. Maintaining a continuing review of USGS policies and procedures dealing with ethics and employee rights issues to determine their adequacy and currency, recommending changes as appropriate.
B. Advising, as requested, on the interpretation of the Organic Act and regulations governing employee conduct where lack of precedence exists.
C. Advising on the development of materials for employee guidance and on the need for and nature of training on ethics issues.
3. Representation. Chairperson and members are appointed by the Director.
4. Type of Organization. Permanent.
5. Reporting. To the Director.
6. Staff. None.
7. Meetings. At the call of the Chairperson.
8. Subcommittees. The Chairperson is authorized to appoint subcommittees on an ad hoc or permanent basis with the endorsement of the Director.
9. Termination Date. None. The charter for this committee will be reviewed every 3 years.