308.6 - Science Council
OPR: Director's Office
1. Establishment. The USGS Science Council was established by the Director, U.S. Geological Survey on November 30, 1994.
2. Purpose. The Science Council is a decision-making body responsible for assisting the Policy Council in charting the scientific direction of the Bureau through program development, program planning, program evaluation, program review and internal/external program coordination. The Council, through its members, is responsible for communicating its decisions.
A. A program is a group of related activities that help to identify and address a long-term (decadal), national issue; a program is described by a multi-year plan developed within the policy framework defined by the USGS mission and strategic plan.
B. Program development includes the identification of significant changes in program direction, content and execution, including the development of program initiatives.
C. Program planning includes the development and regular revision of the Bureau strategic plan (including requirements mandated by the Government Performance and Results Act of 1993) and development/tracking of the annual budget.
D. Program evaluation includes the development and tracking of program performance measures and evaluation of the programs in meeting those measures.
E. Program review includes the evaluation of the application, integrity, and effectiveness of the Bureau review policy as implemented by the lead Division for each program.
F. Program coordination includes internal coordination between Divisions and program managers as well as formal, bureau-level coordination activities with external organizations (e.g., other bureaus within the Department of the Interior, Federal agencies, State organizations, nongovernmental groups).
Associate Director for Programs, Chairperson
Chief, Office of Program Planning and Coordination, Deputy Chair
Chief, Office of Program Operations
Theme Coordinator, Environment
Theme Coordinator, Resources
Theme Coordinator, Hazards
Theme Coordinator, Information Management
Associate Chief, Biological Resources Division*
Associate Chief, Geologic Division*
Associate Chief, National Mapping Division*
Associate Chief, Water Resources Division*
* Associate Chief/responsible person for program issues within the Division; specific title may vary.
Advisors: Specialists from various areas from throughout the USGS will be called, as needed, to serve as advisors to the Science Council (e.g., Office of Program Support, research and technical experts).
5. Type of Organization. Permanent.
6. Staff. Assigned support staff will be provided by the Program Planning and Coordination Office and, as needed, from various components of the Bureau.
7. Meeting. Science Council meetings will be held weekly and at the call of the Chairperson.
8. Subcommittees. The Chairperson is authorized to establish subcommittees on an ad hoc or permanent basis with the endorsement of the members of the Science Council.
9. Termination Date. None. The charter for this Council will be reviewed every 3 years.