U.S. Geological Survey Manual
308.68 – Field Managers Team
OPR: Office of Administrative Policy and Services
Instruction: Replaces SM 308.68 dated 5/5/2005.
1. Establishment. Established by the Associate Director for Administrative Policy and Services.
2. Purpose. The Field Managers Team (FMT) serves as a forum for providing input into the development, review, and improvement of U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) operational policies and procedures that affect field science centers. The team, whose members represent field science centers as a whole, will raise issues of field concern and will work with appropriate headquarters and regional officials to resolve the issues. The team will also serve as a resource for USGS officials charged with developing Bureau policies and procedures. Such USGS officials may discuss proposed policies, objectives, and desired outcomes directly with the FMT in order to ensure that proposed policies achieve desired objectives and are implemented in a manner which furthers the field science centers’ management and execution of scientific and technical projects.
A. Members. The team will be comprised of nine field science center managers, one identified from each geographic area; two national capability center managers; four field science center administrative or field financial officers; and one regional management officer who, in addition to serving as a member of the FMT, will also serve as liaison between the FMT and the Business Leadership Team (BLT). Should a member be unable to personally participate in a scheduled meeting, the FMT member will designate an alternate.
B. Membership Tenure. Members will serve a term of 3 years. Initial appointments to the team and subsequent replacement of team members will be staggered in order to provide team continuity.
C. Chairperson. The chairperson will be a field science center or national capability manager selected by the team from among its members and will serve a 2-year term. If a member, whose term would expire within the 2-year term, is selected as chairperson, his/her membership tenure (see 3.B. above) will be extended in order to complete a 2-year term as chairperson.
D. Membership Nomination. Each Regional Director will be responsible for nominating three science center managers, one from each geographic area, and one field science center administrative or field financial officer. Associate Directors will be responsible for nominating the national capability managers. The BLT will nominate the Regional Management Officer and one of the four field science center administrative or field financial officers.
E. The Associate Director (AD) for Administrative Policy and Services will review membership nominations to ensure a strong representational mix of field science centers.
F. Ex Officio Membership. The AD for Administrative Policy and Services; the Deputy AD for Administrative Policy and Services; the Chief, Office of Accounting and Financial Management; the Chief, Office of Policy and Analysis; FBMS Bureau Lead; the Human Resources Officer; and a Geographic Information Office Liaison will serve as non-voting ex officio FMT members.
4. Type of Organization. Permanent.
5. Reporting. The FMT reports to the AD for Administrative Policy and Services.
6. Staff. None. The Chief, Office of Policy and Analysis, will ensure that minutes are prepared, distributed, and maintained.
7. Resources. Salary expenses for the time required for FMT members to participate in team activities will be funded by their cost center or, if funds are available, by their sponsoring region (field science center managers) or discipline (national capability managers). Non-salary related expenses are expected to be minimal and will be funded as agreed upon by the Chair of the FMT and the AD for Administrative Policy and Services.
8. Meetings. The FMT will meet on a monthly basis; typically, via a conference call. Additional meetings may be called at the discretion of the Chairperson.
9. Subcommittees. The Chairperson is authorized to appoint subcommittees on an ad hoc basis with the endorsement of the FMT.
10. Termination Date. None. The need for continuation of the FMT will be reviewed every 3 years.
_____/s/ Karen D. Baker_____________ __________________4/9/09
Karen D. Baker Date
Associate Director for Administrative Policy and Services
Return to Survey Manual
Table of Contents
Return to Survey Manual Index
Return to Survey Manual Home Page