U.S. Geological Survey Manual
Hand Tool Analysis Checklist
Is the employee trained in:
- proper work practices?
- when and how to make adjustments?
- signs and symptoms of potential physical problems?
- reporting procedures?
Are tools selected to avoid:
- excessive vibration?
- excessive force?
- bending or twisting the wrist?
- finger pinch grip?
- problems associated with trigger finger?
Are tools powered where necessary and feasible?
Are tools evenly balanced?
Are heavy tools counterbalanced?
Does the tool allow adequate visibility of the work?
Does the tool grip/handle prevent slipping during
Are tools equipped with handles :
- of proper diameter?
- that do not end in the palm area?
- of textured non-conductive material?
Are different handle sizes available to fit a wide
range of hand sizes?
Can the tool be used safely with gloves?
Can the tool be used by either hand?
Is there a Preventive Maintenance Program to keep
tools operating as designed?
Have employees been trained in:
- the proper use of tools?
- when and how to report problems with tools?
- proper tool maintenance?
SM 445-2-H Table of Contents ||
Survey Manual Home Page
U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S.
Geological Survey, Reston, VA, USA
Contact: APS, Office of Policy
Content Information Contact: email@example.com