U.S. Geological Survey Manual
U.S. Geological Survey Instructional Memorandum
Issuance Date: April 1, 2010
Expiration Date: March 31, 2011
Subject: Local Commuting Areas for the Office of Water Quality, including the Branch of Analytical Services, the Branch of Quality Systems and the Office of National Water Quality Assessment
Reference: 5 CFR 351.203
1. Purpose. The purpose of this Instructional memorandum is to document the local commuting areas for Office of Water Quality (OWQ) including the Branch of Analytical Services, the Branch of Quality Systems and the Office of National Water Quality Assessment
2. Background. Local commuting areas are established in accordance with 5 CFR 351.203. Commuting areas constitute a geographic area for employment purposes. The commuting area includes a population center or two or more neighboring ones, as well as the surrounding localities in which people live and can reasonably be expected to travel back and forth to their usual employment. In the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), competitive areas for reduction-in-force (RIF) purposes are defined by local commuting area and organization. Together these two factors determine the geographic areas in which OWQ employees compete for RIF purposes.
3. Responsibilities. The Office of Human Resources is responsible for establishing local commuting areas in the USGS.
4. Cancellation. Commuting areas are subject to periodic revision. This IM will remain in effect until March 31, 2011 or until superseded by a revision.
5. Prescribed Local Commuting Areas for the Office of Water Quality.
Duty Station is: Then the commuting area is:
Menlo Park (San Mateo County): Menlo Park (San Mateo County)
Boulder: Boulder, Lakewood
Lakewood: Boulder, Lakewood
Tampa (Hillsborough County): Tampa (Hillsborough County)
Trenton (Mercer County): Trenton (Mercer County)
Portland (Clackamas County): Portland (Clackamas County)
Rapid City (Pennington County): Rapid City (Pennington County)
Reston (Fairfax County): Reston (Fairfax, County)
/signed/ Loretta Pope (Acting for)
S. Kaye Cook
Chief, Office of Human Resources
Return to Instructional Memoranda Page
Return to Survey Manual Home Page