U.S. Geological Survey Manual
U.S. Geological Survey Instructional Memorandum
Number: AEI 2011-02
Issuance Date: December 15, 2010
Expiration Date: Retain Until Superseded
Subject: Use of Alcoholic Beverages in U.S. Geological Survey Occupied or Controlled Facilities
1. Purpose. This Instructional Memorandum establishes the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) policy and procedures governing the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages during any activity or event sponsored or hosted by the USGS.
A. Federal Management Regulation 41 CFR 102-74.405, Public Contracts and Property Management.
B. Departmental Manual Chapter 310 DM 13, Use of Alcoholic Beverages in DOI Occupied or Controlled Facilities, dated September 6, 2006.
A. The serving and/or the consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited at any activity or event sponsored or hosted by the USGS.
B. The serving and/or the consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited within space or on property owned, occupied, controlled, or managed by the USGS.
A. The Associate Director for Administration and Enterprise Information (AEI) is the responsible approving official for any requests for exemptions from this policy. Such approvals will be considered only in those cases where consumption of alcohol is in celebration of a significant work-related achievement at which a single glass per attendee is consumed as a toast to the success. Waivers will not be granted for any other occasion, e.g., holiday parties, retirement celebrations, etc.
(1) All exemption requests to the Associate Director, AEI, must come from an Associate Director, Regional Executive, or office chief who reports directly to the Director.
A. Exemption Requests.
(1) A written request for an exemption to this policy must be completed and submitted to the Associate Director, AEI, no later than 30 days prior to the planned date.
(2) At a minimum, the submitted request must include the following:
(a) Location where alcohol may be served and/or consumed.
(b) Date and time when alcohol may be served and/or consumed.
(c) Purpose of the function at which alcohol may served and/or consumed.
(d) Precautions taken by the requester to ensure compliance with applicable laws such as, but not limited to, the prohibition against underage drinking, driving under the influence, and public intoxication.
(e) A certification of compliance with applicable restrictions in addition to the USGS policy governing the consumption, possession, or serving of alcoholic beverages, including a description of such restrictions.
(f) Name and signature of the requester along with the name and signature of the respective Associate Director, Regional Executive, or office chief who reports directly to the Director.
(g) The Associate Director, AEI, may require additional information in order to approve the exemption request.
(1) The Associate Director, AEI, will notify the requester in writing as to the approval or denial of the exemption request.
(2) Failure to respond to the exemption request by the Associate Director, AEI, constitutes a denial.
(3) The requester shall also provide a copy of all approved exemptions to the building or facility manager.
/s/ Karen D. Baker December 15, 2010
Karen D. Baker Date
Associate Director for Administration and
Return to Instructional Memoranda Page
Return to Survey Manual Home Page