U.S. Geological Survey Manual
U.S. Geological Survey Instructional Memorandum
Issuance Date: April 1, 2009
Expiration Date: March 31, 2010
Subject: Local Commuting Areas for the Office of Groundwater including the Branch of Geophysics and the Yucca Mountain Project Branch
Reference: 5 CFR 351.203
1. Purpose. The purpose of this Instructional Memorandum (IM) is to document the local commuting areas for the Office of Groundwater (OGW) including the Branch of Geophysics and the Yucca Mountain Project Branch.
2. Background. Local commuting areas are established in accordance with 5 CFR 351.203. Commuting areas constitute a geographic area for employment purposes. The commuting area includes a population center or two or more neighboring ones, as well as the surrounding localities in which people live and can reasonably be expected to travel back and forth to their usual employment. In the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), competitive areas for reduction-in-force (RIF) purposes are defined by local commuting area and organization. Together these two factors determine the geographic areas in which OGW employees compete in a RIF.
3. Responsibilities. The Office of Human Resources is responsible for establishing local commuting areas in the USGS.
4. Cancellation. Commuting areas are subject to periodic revision. This IM will remain in effect until March 31, 2010, or until superseded by a revision.
5. Prescribed Local Commuting Areas for the Office of Groundwater including the Branch of Geophysics and the Yucca Mountain Project Branch.
Duty Station is: Then the commuting area is:
Menlo Park (San Mateo County): Menlo Park (San Mateo County)
San Diego: San Diego
Lakewood (Jefferson County): Lakewood (Jefferson County)
Storrs (Tolland County): Storrs (Tolland County)
Northboro (Worcester County): Northboro (Worcester County)
Las Vegas (Clark County): Las Vegas (Clark County)
Reston (Fairfax County): Reston (Fairfax, County)
S. Kaye Cook
Chief, Office of Human Resources
Return to Instructional Memoranda Page
Return to Survey Manual Home Page