U.S. Geological Survey Manual
EFT Waiver Conditions
The conditions under which an EFT waiver is warranted are enumerated below and cited in 31 CFR Part 208.4.
- An individual determines, at his or her sole discretion, that payment by electronic funds transfer would impose a hardship due to a physical or mental disability or a geographic, language, or literary barrier, impose a financial hardship, or where the individual does not have an account with a financial institution.
- The political, financial, or communications infrastructure in a foreign country does not support payment by EFT.
- Payment to a recipient in a designated disaster area.
- A war or national emergency designated by the President or Congress or a military operation designated by the Secretary of Defense.
- Payment by EFT may pose a threat to national security, jeopardize the life or physical safety of an individual, or compromise a law enforcement action.
- We do not expect to make more than one payment to the same recipient within a one-year period (i.e., the payment is non-recurring, and the cost of making payment via EFT exceeds the cost of making the payment by check).
- Where USGS' need for goods or services is of such a compelling urgency that the Government would be seriously injured unless payment is made by a method other than EFT; or where there is only one source for goods or services and the Government would be seriously injured unless payment is made by a method other than EFT.
Return to Instructional Memoranda Page
Return to Survey Manual Home Page
U.S. Geological Survey, 807 National Center, Reston, VA 20192, USA
Content Information Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: OIS, Corporate Information Technology Branch
Last modification: 11-Jan-2013@10:57(bt)