Arches National Park - Balanced Rock

Balanced Rock is a precariously top-heavy tower next to the main road of Arches National Park, ten miles past the visitor center. Although this feature is in fact a single column of Entrada sandstone its appearance resembles a large boulder balanced on top of a thin neck. There was formerly a second, much smaller column similarly shaped that stood next to Blananced Rock and was named Chip-Off-The-Old-Block, which collapsed in the winter of 1975-1976. Go to Photo Collection

Other photo locations in Balanced Rock


Photo Collection

NPS
Description This view shows the former main road into the northern part of Arches National Park passing near Balanced Rock (center), a high-use area. Junipers appear on both sides of this road, and the shrubs are mostly Coleogyne ramosissima with scattered Purshia mexicana.
Date 1939
Photographer Reed, Harry
Photo Source NPS

NPS
Description This road was abandoned in the 1950s. Even though shallow bedrock is exposed in the road (white streaks), Coleogyne has become established. The shrub at lower right is a Purshia, and the prominent shrub in the left foreground is Eriogonum corymbiformis.
Date 2006
Photographer Schelz, Charles
Photo Source NPS

USGS
Description The Coleogyne established after the road was abandoned persist but remain small in the edaphic setting of shallow bedrock. The Purshia have grown but also died back during the recent drought, and the Eriogonum persists.
Date 2013-05-11
Photographer Webb, R. H.
Photo Source USGS

Back to top