Arches National Park - Balanced Rock area

Balanced Rock is a precariously top-heavy tower next to the main road of Arches National Park, ten miles past the visitor center. Although this feature is in fact a single column of Entrada sandstone its appearance resembles a large boulder balanced on top of a thin neck. There was formerly a second, much smaller column similarly shaped that stood next to Blananced Rock and was named Chip-Off-The-Old-Block, which collapsed in the winter of 1975-1976. Go to Photo Collection


Photo Collection

National Archives
Description This view shows the old road leading north from the Balanced Rock site in Arches National Park.
Date 1940
Photographer Unknown
Photo Source National Archives

NPS
Description The road was abandoned shortly after the 1940 view. In 2006, Coleogyne had become well established in the road, along with Lepium montanum and one Purshia mexicana (left center).
Date 2006-07-12
Photographer Schelz, Charles
Photo Source NPS

USGS
Description The Coleogyne, Lepidium, and solitary Purshia remain but are reduced in size owing to a long drought preceding this view. One juniper, at right center, has died.
Date 2013-05-14
Photographer Lemke, W.
Photo Source USGS

Back to top