Canyonlands National Park - Andersons Bottom - Maze District

Andersons Bottom, now part of the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park, was once used for ranching and farming. While water along the river remainded plentiful throughout the year, the remote location made contact with the rest of the world or getting supplies too difficult for these opporations to be sustainable. It is one of the few places in the area where the Green RIver can be reached from above by horseback. Go to Photo Collection


Photo Collection

National Archives
Description This aerial photo shows Anderson Bottom in Green River. This spot is the only place for miles to allow access to the Green River from the White Rim, and farmers attempted to make a living in the fertile soil found here.
Date 1940
Photographer Unknown
Photo Source National Archives

NPS
Description Anderson Bottom on the Green River was farmed for several decades until the establishment of Canyonlands National Park in 1964, one year before this photo was taken. The farm, shown here in winter, appears ready for planting with fenceposts and extensive brush clearing near the river.
Date 1965
Photographer Rothfuss, Ed
Photo Source NPS

USGS
Description Fifty years since farming ceased at Anderson Bottom on the Green River, tamarisk, sagebrush, willows, and other plants are slowly covering the furrows and roads. Fifty years earlier, the Flaming Gorge Dam was completed upstream of Anderson Bottom, reducing flooding and allowing willows to colonize the sand bars along the river, narrowing the river channel.
Date 2012-05-23
Photographer Webb, R. H.
Photo Source USGS

Back to top