Hovenweep National Monument - Cajon Unit - East Fence Line

The Cajon group of ruins in Hovenweep National Monument is the remnant of a small ancient village constructed by ancestral Puebloans. As many as 80 to 100 people may have lived here when the structures were in use before 1300 CE. Go to Photo Collection

Other photo locations in Cajon Unit - East Fence Line


Photo Collection

Description The fenceline of Hovenweep shows the effects of different grazing intensities on the left and righthand side of the fence. The lefthand side remains a grassland, but with weedy invasive plants and shrubs clipped low by browing. The righthand side shows intense trailing from cattle and few native shrubs.
Date 1946
Photographer Balch, Paul L.
Photo Source

Description Despite nearly a century of heavy grazing, the wet year of 1973 regenerated the native grasses of this plateau. Invasive cheatgrass is more pervasive and fewer native grasses grow on the right side of the fence, where grazing intensity was much greater than the left side of the fence.
Date 1973
Photographer Court
Photo Source

Description Despite a decade of drought, native grasses and shrubs are returning to the monument left of the fenceline. Mature blackbrush, four-wing saltbush, and juniper are robust where grazing ceased 20 years earlier, but on the right side of the fence, no native grasses are visible and shrubs are fewer and heavily browsed.
Date 2012-10-15
Photographer Tharnstrom
Photo Source

Back to top