Science Center Objects

Since its establishment in 1936 as the nation's first wildlife experiment station, the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center has been a leading international research institute for wildlife and applied environmental research, for transmitting research findings to those responsible for managing our nation's natural resources, and for providing technical assistance in implementing research findings so as to improve natural resource management. Patuxent's scientists have been responsible for many important advances in natural resource conservation, especially in such areas as migratory birds, wildlife population analysis, waterfowl harvest, habitat management, wetlands, coastal zone and flood plain management, contaminants, endangered species, urban wildlife, ecosystem management, and management of national parks and national wildlife refuges.

Chronological History:

PWRC Timeline

Patuxent's Early History - By L.B. Morley

The Evolution of Patuxent as a Research Refuge and a Wildlife Research Center - By Matthew C. Perry

The Patuxent Research Refuge, 1959 reprint by A.L. Nelson, Director, Patuxent Research Refuge  

Patuxent Wildlife Research Center 50th Anniversary: Wildlife Conservation Through Scientific Research 1939 - 1989

Historic Family Homes located on Center:

Snowden Hall - By Matthew C. Perry

Duvalls and Kluckuhns at Patuxent - By Matthew C. Perry

Hance House and family - By Matthew C. Perry

Schafer Farm - By Matthew C. Perry

Natural History:

The Patuxent Plant List and Herbarium Collection

Checklist of the Butterflies of the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center, Laurel, MD by Elwood M. (Woody) Martin