DOI - USGS Pathways Recent Graduates Program
The Recent Graduates Program affords developmental Federal experiences intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs.
The program typically lasts for 1 year (may be up to 2 years if the training requirements of the position warrant a longer and more structured training program). A Participant Agreement is established between the Recent Graduate and USGS which sets the requirements and expectations of the program. Click here for a copy of the Participant Agreement for Recent Graduates Program.
The Recent Graduates Program is for individuals who have completed a qualifying associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate educational program within the preceding 2 years (with exceptions for certain veterans.)
Eligibles for the Recent Graduate Program must meet the following requirements:
- Must have obtained, within the previous two years, a qualifying associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
Certain veterans are provided an eligibility extension due to military service obligations. Veterans with preference, who enter active military duty after completion of their educational requirements, have a 2-year period of eligibility upon discharge from active duty, and which may not exceed beyond six years after degree/certificate completion, in order to apply for Recent Graduate opportunities.
- Must meet qualification requirements for the position and submit all required documentation as specified in the vacancy announcement.
Training and Development
The following developmental activities and training opportunities are requirements of the program:
- Orientation program for Recent Graduates hired for the program.
- Mentorship throughout the program.
- Individual Development Plan to create and track Recent Graduates' career planning, professional development, and training activities.
- At least 40 hours of formal, interactive training each year of the program.
- Positions that provide for career advancement.
After Program Completion
Recent Graduates may be converted to a permanent position (or, in some limited circumstances a term appointment lasting more than 1 year but not exceeding a total of 4 years).
To be eligible for conversion, Recent Graduates must have:
- Successfully completed at least 1-year of continuous service (up to a maximum of 2-years for positions with unique training requirements) in addition successful completion to all requirements of the Program.
- Demonstrated successful job performance.
- Meet the qualification requirements for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
Summary of Benefits
As an employee of the USGS, your compensation is more than a paycheck. You receive a competitive benefits package designed to meet the needs of today's diverse workforce as described below.
- Pathways Recent Graduates Program Frequently Asked Questions
- Employee Information
- New Employee Information
- Pathways Program Resources (includes FAQs)
- Supervisor's Toolkit
- SES, SL, & ST Information
- USGS Careers
- USGS Career Cards