Telework provides employees with the opportunity to perform their duties at alternative worksites during an agreed-upon portions of their work week. Alternative worksites may include an employee's home, a telecommuting center (commonly called a telecenter) or another USGS facility, or a "virtual office."
The USGS Telework program is administered by the Employee Relations Department of Human Resources. Please contact your assigned Employee Relations Specialist if you have any questions or concerns.
Teleworking Rules and Regulations
Effective August 23, 2021, Personnel Bulletin (PB) 21-07 establishes the revised policy and procedural requirements for the DOI Telework Program under which eligible employees may be authorized to telework. Department of the Interior (DOI) Telework Program information, policies, fact sheets, and forms are found at:
- Department of the Interior Telework Information
- Department of the Interior Telework Policy Information
- Information regarding telework from the U.S. Office of Personnel Management can be found at https://www.telework.gov/
- DOI Personnel Bulletin 18-04, Weather and Safety Leave
- Exceptions to the Departmental Telework Program
Planned changes to Interior’s Telework and Remote Work Posture
Required Telework Training
Before an employee can telework, and before a telework agreement is executed, the supervisor and employee must complete the required telework training courses once, which are available in DOI Talent.
- Telework Agreement Form (DI-3457) Initial Certification Course
(Go to Find Learning, select Courses, and enter DOI-EMP_TELEWORK-Initial under Course Shortname and hit Search.)
- Telework Fundamentals – Manager Training
(Go to Find Learning, select Courses, and enter OPM-TW-101-MAN under Course Shortname and hit Search.)
Once the required training is completed, a telework agreement form (DI-3457) must be completed in DOI Talent by the supervisor and employee before the employee can be permitted to telework. (Go to Find Learning, select Courses, and enter DOI-EMP_TELEWORK-Initial under Course Shortname and hit Search.)
- Telework and Employee-Initiated Remote Work Comparison Chart (DOI)
- Remote Work and Telework FAQs (developed by USGS)
- Remote Work And Telework FAQs (developed by U.S. General Services Administration)
- A recorded presentation of the Telework and Remote Work information session from January 2022 is available on @theCore, it can be found under "R" and "T" on the A-Z Index.
→ If you have problems retrieving or viewing PDFs or documents on the Human Capital website email firstname.lastname@example.org.