Delivering Information to Fishery Managers in the Great Lakes Basin.
GLSC Deepwater Science Program delivers annual reports, presentations to Great Lakes fishery managers at annual Lake Committee Meetings
Scientists working within the GLSC Deepwater Science Program delivered their annual reports and presentations at the Great Lakes Fishery Commission’s (GLFC) annual Lake Committee Meetings in Ypsilanti, Michigan, March 25-29, 2019. The Lake Committee Meetings are a forum for state, tribal, and provincial fishery management agencies on each Great Lake to assess the state of fish communities, discuss pressing issues, and plan future management activities. This is the primary annual venue in which USGS Deepwater Science is delivered to the fishery managers. Decisions made by the Lake Committees will form the guiding framework for fishery management across the basin. The annual USGS Lake Reports can be found on the GLFC website. The Lake Committee Meetings agenda includes the following USGS presentations.
- Status of Lake Michigan prey fish in 2018 (Dave Warner, GLSC, Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- Status of lake trout restoration in Lake Michigan in 2018 (Chuck Madenjian, GLSC, Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- Thiamine status of lake trout eggs in Lakes Huron & Michigan in 2001-2017 (Stephen Riley, GLSC, Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- Trends in the Lake Superior fish community, 1953-2018 (Owen Gorman, GLSC, Ashland, Wisconsin)
- Prey fish status and trends in Lake Superior (Mark Vinson, GLSC, Ashland, Wisconsin)
- Comparison of historical and contemporary cisco stocks in Lake Superior: Can historical yields be explained by contemporary recruitment abundance? (Ben Rook, GLSC, Millersburg, Michigan)
- USGS acoustic sled research in Lake Superior (Dan Yule, GLSC, Ashland, Wisconsin)
- Status of offshore forage fishes in Lake Huron (Stephen Riley, GLSC, Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- St. Marys River larval fish survey (Ed Roseman, GLSC, Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- Prey fish assessments in Lake Ontario (Brian Weidel, GLSC, Oswego, New York)
- Lake trout restoration update in Lake Ontario (Brian Lantry, GLSC, Oswego, New York)
- Bloater and cisco restoration updates in Lake Ontario (Jim McKenna, GLSC, Cortland, New York)
- Movement of lake whitefish in Lake Erie (Richard Kraus, GLSC, Sandusky, Ohio)