Media Advisory: Experts Gather in Advance of National Earthquake Drill
A press conference will be held on October 14, 2014 in recognition of the upcoming International ShakeOut Day of Action. On October 16, nearly 25 million people (2 million in the SouthEast region) are expected to participate in the world’s largest earthquake drill.
WASHINGTON, D.C.— A press conference will be held on October 14, 2014 in recognition of the upcoming International ShakeOut Day of Action. On October 16, nearly 25 million people (2 million in the SouthEast region) are expected to participate in the world’s largest earthquake drill. To mark the occasion and build awareness, several state and federal organizations have partnered to call the public to action and prepare for the drill.
Media are invited to attend a ShakeOut press conference and interview executive level state and federal government officials, meet students who experienced the 2011 Virginia earthquake, shoot footage of a live seismometer and earthquake drill demonstration, and film the “Designing for Disaster” exhibit at the National Building Museum. Main topics include:
- The Great ShakeOut earthquake drills, occurring throughout the nation on October 16
- New earthquake research and monitoring activities in D.C. and the eastern United States
- Lasting effects of Virginia's magnitude 5.8 earthquake in August 2011, felt by nearly one third of the U.S. population
- Current state and federal government activities that are improving disaster preparedness and resiliency
National Building Museum
401 F Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20001
- October 14, 2014
- 9:45AM EDT: Media Arrival
- 10:00AM to 10:30AM EDT: Press Conference
- 10:30AM to Noon EDT: Interviews, Demonstrations, and Tours
- Suzette Kimball, Acting Director, U.S. Geological Survey
- Craig Fugate, Administrator, FEMA
- Chase W. Rynd, Executive Director, National Building Museum
- Doug Straley, Assistant Superintendent of Administration, Louisa County Public Schools (VA)
- Brian Baker, Chief of Staff, District of Columbia Homeland Security and EMA
- Mark Benthien, Global Coordinator, Great ShakeOut Earthquake Drills, Southern California Earthquake Center
- Jim Wilkinson, Executive Director, Central U.S. Earthquake Consortium
Media are encouraged to RSVP to Brian Blake at email@example.com. Press packets will be available. Interviews and one-on-one filming will be allowed following the press conference.