The Hazards Focus Area is focused primarily on science applications for National Geospatial Program (NGP) products and services that support hazards research and mitigation activities.
Scientists and managers from the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and the broader hazards community are engaged in:
- Soliciting requirements for NGP products and services through interactive dialog, site visits, conference attendance, and training opportunities
- Promoting the applicability of NGP products and services to address critical hazards science needs
- Identifying opportunities to enhance, improve, and expand the product and service offerings from NGP in support of hazards science
- For Elevation Data, USGS scientists are invited to submit their requirements through The USGS Lidar Priorities Collector Tool. The requirements will be viewable on Seasketch as USGS 3DEP Areas of Interest in the Mapping Priorities: Needs, Requirements, Topographic Lidar 3DEP Areas of Interest, Federal 3DEP Interests. (1 – 3 years).
Users include USGS scientists and managers concerned with research and mitigation activities in the following focus areas:
- Earthquakes (USGS Earthquake Hazards Program)
- Landslides (National Landslide Hazards Program)
- Volcanoes (USGS Volcano Hazards Program)
- Coastal Zone (USGS Coastal and Marine Hazards and Resources Program)
- Floods (USGS Floods)
- Defining the location and relative activity of active fault zones using high-resolution elevation data derived from lidar
- Defining the location and relative activity of landslide processes using high-resolution elevation data derived from lidar
- Volcano hazards maps and flow models using topography as model input
- Measurement of sea-level rise and land subsidence in the coastal zone, using lidar
- Preparing maps of scientific findings, such as hazard delineation, using The National Map as a base (US Topo, scanned topographic maps, shaded relief maps from the 3D Elevation Program (3DEP) are examples)
Hazards Focus Area Items of Interest
- Formulate, review and prioritize requirements for National Geospatial Program (NGP) products and services that support hazards activities
- Education and outreach regarding the applicability of NGP products, services and capabilities followed by solicitation of user needs and determination of intersections between NGP offerings and user needs. Additionally, identification of opportunities for improvement and enhancement of NGP products and services.
- Identification of and participation in training opportunities for Coordinator and USGS National Map Liaisons to promote better understanding and awareness of overall hazards needs