Landsat Collection 2 Level-1 and Level-2 global scene-based data products are located in an Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3) s3://usgs-landsat requester pays bucket within the Oregon us-west-2 region. (Note: this new capability does not change existing user data access or workflows.)
Documentation and Additional Resources
Visit the links below to learn how to apply your workflows to Landsat data in the commercial cloud environment.
Spatio Temporal Asset Catalog (STAC) Metadata Version Updates
NOTICE May 26, 2021: The USGS will begin reprocessing the STAC records from version 1.0.0-beta 2 to version 1.0.0. Sample data will be provided on this site during the week of May 31. After a one week period of review, USGS will begin the reprocessing of the entire record. The API to access these records will also be replaced with STAC Server during this update as well.
The updates included in this release can be found at https://github.com/radiantearth/stac-spec/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md. Additional information regarding STAC metadata can be found at https://stacspec.org/. Users are encouraged to contact USGS Customer Services with any questions about STAC metadata and updates.
Simple Notification Service (SNS) Topic
The following Amazon Resource Name (ARN) is for an Amazon SNS topic that provides notifications whenever a new Landsat scene has been added to Landsat on AWS:
- This topic publishes an Amazon S3 event message whenever a scene-level index.html file has been created, which is the last step in the process to make scene data available on Amazon S3. It will only accept subscriptions via Amazon SQS or AWS Lambda.
Learn more about subscribing to SNS topics
The following files are available to guide users while working with Landsat data in the AWS cloud. Each tutorial includes the Jupyter Notebook (.ipynb) file, along with .html output file. Additional tutorials will be added as they are developed.
These videos explain how using data in the cloud works.
- Landsat Data in the Cloud
- Landsat in the Cloud: Will my workflow be supported?
- Landsat in the Cloud: COGs and Notebooks
- When do I need an Amazon Web Services (AWS) account to access Landsat data in the cloud? Is there a cost for that?
- Are Landsat data in the cloud still considered to be within the public domain?
- What are Cloud Optimized GeoTIFFs (COGs)?