Data and Tools
Data and Tools Topics Bio Carousel
Biology and Ecosystems
Learn more about research and monitoring on freshwater, terrestrial, and marine ecosystems and the fish and wildlife within them. Healthy ecosystems provide our society with essential ecosystem services, such as crop pollination, water and air purification, harvestable populations of fish and wildlife, soil replenishment, pest control, and nutrient cycling.
Forests around the world are experiencing severe droughts and elevated competitive intensity due to increased tree density. These data were compiled to represent multi-decadal forest growth across eight different experimental forests in the United States, each with replicated levels of density treatments, as well as an important drought index correlated to growth.
The Percent Edge Tool is an ArcMap tool. The Percent Edge Tool performs the following calculations for each polygon in a polygonal GIS layer: area, compactness, perimeter, edge lengths with adjacent polygons, and percentage of edge with adjacent polygons. This information can then be summarized into a pivot table and queried.
Where are most important places to direct conservation effort? Such a simple question is not answered simply. There are a myriad of priorities, constraints, and capacities, both scientific and socio-economic, which in combination guide the allocation of management effort. An honest accounting of these priorities, constraints, and capacities is essential for efficient, effective action.
- Allows managers and planners to rapidly assess landscape attributes and link these attributes with species/habitat information
- Provides resource managers a means to compare the conservation potential of local management units with that of the surrounding county, state, or region
- Can be applied to any taxa or suite of taxa and any landscape, given that spatial data. ...
- The Split By Attribute Tool is a customization of ArcMap.
- The tool takes a single shapefile and splits it into many shapefiles based on the unique values of a chosen field.
- If the user has made a selection on a shapefile, then only those features that have been selected will be split.
- Each output layer will named with the following structure: user supplied base ...
- The Census Stop Tool is a GIS tool that creates random points along a line layer while maintaining a minimum distance between points.
- The user has the option of selecting one of two random point placement methods.
- The Census Stop Tool is available as an ArcMap 9.x extension.
- This tool is designed to facilitate road based surveys by reducing the potential for ...
- The Adjacency For WinBUGS Tool is a customization of ArcMap.
- The tool iteratively processes each polygon within a selected layer and creates a text file of polygonal adjacency where each polygon is identified by a unique Adj_ID value.
- The output of this tool is used in WinBUGS (MRC Biostatistics Unit Cambridge) by the car.normal, car.l1, and mv.car conditional ...
The Upper Mississippi River Restoration (UMRR) Program Long Term Resource Monitoring (LTRM) element has collected millions of records of information over 20+ years. Fisheries, water quality, vegetation, and invertebrates have all been sampled. Geographic locations were collected for all sampling points.
Data associated with a dye tracer study in the auxiliary lock at Lock and Dam 14 on the Mississippi River near Pleasant Valley, Iowa, June 2017
These data were collected in support of a multi-agency effort to evaluate the feasibility of using carbon dioxide to create a barrier and prevent upstream passage of invasive fish through navigational locks. The auxiliary lock at Lock and Dam 14 on the Mississippi River near Pleasant Valley, Iowa, was chosen for a field-scale trial of the carbon dioxide barrier to be conducted in 2018.
Biologists working with wildlife may be exposed to a variety of disease agents. NWHC has developed a wallet card that wildlife professionals can carry with them to alert medical personnel about potential exposure to zoonotic diseases. Contact information is provided for the Centers for Disease Control for the occurrence of zoonotic diseases in humans.
Metrics for characterizing depth, extent, frequency, duration, and timing of inundation through cloud-based maps for use by floodplain managers.
Metrics for characterizing depth, extent, frequency, duration, and timing of inundation through through cloud-based interactive maps for use by flood plain managers.