Dalia E Varanka, Ph.D.
Dr. Varanka leads the Geospatial Semantics and Ontology project of the Center of Excellence for Geospatial Information Science.
Dalia Varanka is a Research Geographer with the U.S. Geological Survey.
She received her BA degree from the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay in Urban and Regional Analysis (1978) and her M.A. degree in Urban Environmental Geography at the University of Illinois at Chicago (1987). Dr. Varanka’s Ph.D. degree in Geography from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (1994) focused on the spatial information theory and cartography and society.
She worked full-time through graduate school, first as a research assistant at The Field Museum of Natural History and later The Newberry Library in Chicago.
Dr. Varanka began her Federal career in 1993 as a Physical Science Technician with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. She joined the USGS in 1997 and has been a Research Grade Evaluation (RGE) scientist since 1999 with the National Geospatial Program.
Dr. Varanka teaches a Geospatial Ontology and Semantics course for the Geographic Information Systems degree for the Johns Hopkins University Advanced Academic Programs.
- Varanka, D. and Caro, H., 2013, Spatial Relation Predicates for Topographic Data Triples. In Martin Raubal, Andrew Frank, and David Mark, Eds., Cognitive and Linguistic Aspects of Geographical Space. Springer. 21 p.
- Varanka, D.E. and Usery, E.L., 2012, Topographic Feature Type Vocabularies for Ontology Design Patterns. IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), July 2012.
- Varanka, D., 2011, The National Map Geospatial Semantic Linked Data. [Poster] USGS Information Product.
- Varanka, D.E., 2011, Advances Toward Expanding Gazetteer Semantics. International Cartography Conference, Paris, France.
- Varanka, D.E., 2011, Ontology Design Patterns for Complex Topographic Feature Types: Cartography and Geographic Information Science v. 38, n. 2, p. 126-136.
- Varanka, D.E. and Jerris, T., 2010, Ontology Design Patterns for Complex Topographic Features. AutoCarto 2010, Orlando FL, November 15 – 18, 2010.
- Varanka, D.E., 2010, Ontology, in Warf, B., ed., Encyclopedia of Geography: Thousand Oaks, California, Sage Publications, Inc.
- Varanka, D.E. and Usery, E.L., 2010, Special Section: Ontological Issues for The National Map: Cartographica: The International Journal for Geographic Information and Visualization, v. 45, n. 2, p. 103-104.
- Usery, E.L., Varanka, D.E., and Finn, M.P., 2009, 125 Years of Topographic Mapping, Part 1, 1884 – 1980, in ESRI ArcNews, vol. 31, no. 3, p. 1. Available on the Web athttp://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/fall09articles/125-years.html.
- Usery, E.L., Varanka, D.E., and Finn, M., 2009, USGS History, Part 2: From the Dawn of Digital to The National Map, 125 Years of Topographic Mapping, Part 2, in ESRI ArcNews, vol. 31, no. 4, p. 39. Available on the Web at http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/winter0910articles/125-years.html.
- Varanka, D., 2009, Interpreting Missouri Population Pressure on Urbanizing Natural Areas [Poster]: Manual of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Supplemental DVD, ed., Marguerite Madden, Bethesda, Maryland, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing (ASPRS).
- Varanka, D., 2008, Interpolating Population Pressure on Urbanizing Natural Areas, [Poster] at URL http://mcgsc.usgs.gov/publications/IMPPUNA%20poster_112707.pdf.
- Varanka, D.E., 2008, National Topographic Modeling, Ontology-Driven Geographic Information in the Context of The National Map, First International Workshop on Information Semantics and its Implications for Geographical Analysis (ISGA ’08) at GIScience 2008, the 5th International Conference on Geographic Information Science, Park City, Utah, September 23, 2008.
- Varanka, D.E., 2007, Ontological Foundations of Transportation Data for the National Map (USA), in XXIII International Cartographic Conference Proceedings 4-10, August 2007, Moscow, Russia, 13 p. (CD)
- Varanka, D.E., 2006, National Trends Regarding Aggregate Materials for Urban Development, With a Method for the Analysis of Aggregates Distribution, in Rates, Trends, Causes, and Consequences of Urban Land-Use Change in the United States: USGS Professional Paper 1726, pp. 45-54.
- Varanka, D.E., 2006, Centralization and Locality in the 20th Century National Topographic Mapping Program In The United States: in Postnikov, A., ed., Development of Ideas and Methods in Cartography: Moscow, Russian Academy of Sciences, pp. 26-41.
- Varanka, D., 2005, Methods to Implement the 20th-Century Topographic Survey For Long-Term Landscape Studies At Local And Regional Scales: U.S. Geological Survey, Open File Report 2006-1002.
- Varanka, D., 2005, The manly map; the English construction of gender in early modern cartography, In, Gender and Landscape, Renegotiating morality and space, Dowler, L., Carubia, J., and Szczygiel, B., eds. Women and Place Series, Monk, J., and Momsen, J., Series Editors, London, Routledge, pp. 223-239.
- Varanka, D.E., 2005, Analytical Concepts in Early Computer Cartography and Late National Topographic Mapping in the United States, in Mapping Approaches into a Changing World, International Cartographic Conference: A Coruna, Spain, Proceedings (CD): International Cartographic Association, Theme 16.
- Varanka, D., 2003, Using The National Topographic Survey For Long-Term Land Surface Change Studies: A Case Involving Carbon Sequestration: Proceedings, 21st International Cartographic Conference, Durban, South Africa, August 10-16, 2003, pp. 80-83 (CD rom).
- Varanka, D., 2003, Atlas of World History: Patrick K. O’Brien, General Editor, Oxford University Press, 2002, Book review for Cartography and GIS, v. 30, n. 4. pp. 351-2.
- Varanka, D., 2003. Cartographic Fictions; Maps, Race, and Identity: Karen Piper, Rutgers University Press, 2002, Book review for Gender, Place, and Culture.
- Varanka, D., 2002, Strategic Vision for the U.S. Geological Survey in the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Region, 2001-2002, Contributing Author. U.S. Geological Survey, Open File Report 02-193.
- Varanka, D., 2002, Urban Expansion, Chester County, Pennsylvania, [Poster] at URL http://mcmcweb.er.usgs.gov/de_river_basin/phil/posters.html.
- Varanka, D., 2002, Urban Expansion, Chester County, Pennsylvania, by Decade, [Poster] at URL http://mcmcweb.er.usgs.gov/de_river_basin/phil/posters.html.
- Varanka, D., 2002, Urban Expansion Philadelphia Region, [Poster] at URL http://mcmcweb.er.usgs.gov/de_river_basin/phil/posters.html.
- Varanka, D., 2002, Urban Expansion Philadelphia Region by Decade, [Poster] at URL http://mcmcweb.er.usgs.gov/de_river_basin/phil/posters.html.