Contamination and pollution
Introduction of harmful substances into the environment by human action or natural processes.
- USGS Indiana District adopts White River [More info]
- Volunteers from the USGS in Indiana, their families, and friends donate two Saturdays a year for a river-cleanup.
- USGS mine drainage activities [More info]
- Listing of USGS research and monitoring projects on mine drainage, in order to promote cooperation and collaboration among scientists working on problems related to mining and the environment.
- USGS Science Serves Public Health [More info]
- Studies showing how human activities affect environmental and ecological health and how the quality of our environment and wildlife affects human health.
- Using science to strengthen our Nation's resilience to tomorrow's challenges: understanding and preparing for coastal impacts [More info]
- Specific steps that USGS is taking to gather scientific information that will help coastal communities prepare for changes, both sudden, like hurricanes, and gradual, like rising sea level.