Pipe Spring - Winsor Castle

This is a photo of Winsor Castle.

Detailed Description

Pipe Spring was named by participants of a Mormon expedition into Arizona in 1858 (Fairley, 1989). The stone building at Pipe Spring is called Winsor Castle. The building served as the ranch house for Pipe Spring Ranch. A stone building was first constructed at the spring by Mormon militiamen in 1868 as a stronghold against Navajo raiding parties. John Wesley Powell visited Pipe Spring in 1870 before his second expedition down the Colorado River. Powell's surveying parties also later visited Pipe Spring (NPS, 2005).

Details

Image Dimensions: 800 x 600

Date Taken:

Location Taken: US