Newport (NEW)

Science Center Objects

The Newport observatory was established in 1966. The site, located in the Colville National Forest outside of Newport, supports several geophysical operations and is operated by the USGS under a special use permit with the US Forest Service.

Newport Geophysical Observatory sign (Brown wood with yellow writing).

Newport Geophysical Observatory sign.

(Credit: Jeff Fox. Public domain.)

Station Id: NEW

Location: Colville National Forest, WA

Latitude: 48.2649°N

Longitude: 117.1231°W

Geomagnetic Latitude: 54.45°N*

Geomagnetic Longitude: 306.35°E*

Elevation: 770 meters

Orientation: HDZF

* IGRF values as of 2015.

 

Other Operations:

 

Photos:

small brown building with grass and trees

The variations building housing the flux-gate magnetometer.

(Credit: Jeff Fox, USGS. Public domain.)

 

Absolutes and electronics buildings at Newport, WA magnetic observatory.

Absolutes and electronics buildings at Newport, WA magnetic observatory.

(Credit: Jeff Fox. Public domain.)

The Newport observatory dedication, 11 June 1966.

The Newport observatory dedication, 11 June 1966. Left to right: V. Adm H. Arnold Karo, Dep Adm. ESSA (Environmental Science Services Administration); US Senator Henry M. Jackson, Washington State; Mayor David Sherman, Newport, Washington; US Congressman Thomas S. Foley, 5th Dist., Washington; R. Adm. James C. Tison, Jr., Director Coast and Geodetic Survey. 

(Credit: Jeff Fox. Public domain.)