USGS National Map Orthoimagery Map Services Transition and Other Map Service Changes
Orthoimagery of downtown Nashville
As part of The National Map transition to cloud hosting, several of the National Map NAIP Orthoimagery Services will be provided under new URLs.
On or about December 2, National Map Orthoimagery web map services, which display U. S. Department of Agriculture National Agricultural Imagery Program (NAIP) orthoimagery, are planned to be served from new URLs. These new URLs have been available and running in parallel for many months and most applications have already made the change to the new replacement services. In addition, as part of this transition, USGS legacy Digital Raster Graphic (DRG) or “Scanned Map” service will also be retired.
The National Map uses NAIP imagery as a key component of its US Topo map products. As part of the offerings associated with the product, it also provides imagery compressed files for download and imagery web map services for visualization in applications. These imagery services and data download provide an imagery base that supplements the associated US Topo GIS-based ‘Topo Map Vector Data Product’. The imagery web map services or imagery downloaded from TNM Downloader may both be used along with TNM vector products in the ‘Topo TNM Style Template’, providing GIS basemap layers and data in the cartographic style and layout of the US Topo maps.
These dynamic imagery services are designed to provide visualization from local to national scales for a variety of use cases. The replacement ‘Imagery - 1 meter (plus)’ service will contain NAIP orthoimagery along with other High Resolution Orthoimagery (HRO) to fill in areas where NAIP is not flown. Some of the services listed below are scale-dependent, drawing only at the largest scales (below 18K scale), to facilitate zooming in past the levels currently supported in the faster USGS tile cached ‘Imagery Basemap’ service. These capabilities are being maintained through the new URLs listed below.
DECOMMISSIONED AND REPLACEMENT SERVICES
All Scale Viewing - Supports small- to large scale viewing
Former Combined Imagery Service USGS_EROS_Ortho
- Function: Provided HRO and NAIP data with HRO as top layer.
- Replacement: Imagery - 1 Meter (plus) USGS NAIP Plus, which provides visualization of NAIP data with HRO filling in areas not flown by NAIP.
Former NAIP Only Service USGS_EROS_Ortho_NAIP
- Function: Provided only NAIP data for visualization.
- Replacement: Imagery - 1 Meter (plus) USGS NAIP Plus, which provides NAIP data with HRO filling in areas not flown by NAIP.
Scale-Dependent Viewing - for larger scale viewing in conjunction with tile cached USGS Imagery base maps
Former: Large-Scale NAIP Only Service USGS_EROS_Ortho_NAIP_SCALE
- Function: Provided only NAIP data at views below 18K. Intended primarily for use with USGS Imagery base maps as transition to larger scale viewing.
- Replacement: Current Large-Scale NAIP with HRO in gaps USGS Image Only Large, which provides NAIP data with HRO filling in areas not flown by NAIP at views below 1:18K scale. Intended primarily for use along with the tiled cached USGS Imagery base maps to support larger scale viewing.
Former: Large-Scale Combined Service USGS_EROS_Ortho_SCALE
- Function: Provided HRO and NAIP data at views below 1:18K scale. Intended primarily for use with the USGS Imagery base maps as a transition to larger scale viewing.
- Replacement: Current Large-Scale NAIP with HRO in gaps USGS Image Only Large , which provides NAIP data with HRO filling in areas not flown by NAIP at views below 1:18K scale. Intended primarily for use along with the tiled cached USGS Imagery base maps to support larger scale viewing.
Other Decommissioned Web Map Services
Former: USGS Scanned Topo Map Seamless Service USGS_EROS_DRG_SCALE
- Function: Provided earlier scanned USGS topographic maps as a seamless service.
- Replacement: No longer available as a USGS service. New higher resolution scans of historical USGS topographic maps in GeoTIFF are now available for download as part of the Historical Topographic Map Collection (HTMC) from topoView. In addition seamless web services of historical USGS maps are provided from commercial services, such as USA_Topo_Maps.
Keep current with The National Map downloadable products and services at The National Map launch page. For specific information on how to use the National Map web map services go to the “how to” website.
Questions or feedback regarding any of these changes can be submitted to The National Map help desk.