The hydrogeology and water quality of the Dublin and Midville aquifer systems were characterized in the City of Waynesboro area in Burke County, Georgia, based on geophysical and drillers’ logs, flowmeter surveys, a 24-houraquifer test, and the collection and chemical analysis of water samples in a newly constructed well. At the test site, the Dublin aquifer system consists of interlayered sands and clays between depths of 396 and 691 feet, and the Midville aquifer system consists of a sandy clay layer overlying a sand and gravel layer between depths of 728 and 936 feet. The new well was constructed with three screened intervals in the Dublin aquifer system and four screened intervals in the Midville aquifer system. Wellbore-flowmeter testing at a pumping rate of 1,000 gallons per minute indicated that 52.2 percent of the total flow was from the shallower Dublin aquifer system with the remaining 47.8 percent from the deeper Midville aquifer system. The lower part of the lower Midville aquifer (900 to 930 feet deep), contributed only 0.1 percent of the total flow.
Hydraulic properties of the two aquifer systems were estimated using data from two wellbore-flowmeter surveys and a 24-hour aquifer test. Estimated values of transmissivity for the Dublin and Midville aquifer systems were 2,000 and 1,000 feet squared per day, respectively. The upper and lower Dublin aquifers have a combined thickness of about 150 feet and the horizontal hydraulic conductivity of the Dublin aquifer system averages 10 feet per day. The upper Midville aquifer, lower Midville confining unit, and lower Midville aquifer have a combined thickness of about 210 feet, and the horizontal hydraulic conductivity of the Midville aquifer system averages 6 feet per day. Storage coefficient of the Dublin aquifer system, computed using the Theis method on water-level data from one observation well, was estimated to be 0.0003. With a thickness of about 150 feet, the specific storage of the Dublin aquifer system averages about 2×10-6 per foot.
Water quality of the Dublin and Midville aquifer systems was characterized during the aquifer test on the basis of water samples collected from composite well flow originating from five depths in the completed production well during the aquifer test. Samples were analyzed for total dissolved solids, specific conductance, pH, alkalinity, and major ions. Water-quality results from composite samples, known flow contribution from individual screens, and a mixing equation were used to calculate water-quality values for sample intervals between sample depths or below the bottom sample depth. With the exception of iron and manganese, constituent concentrations of water from each of the sampled intervals and total flow from the well were within U.S. Environmental Protection Agency primary and secondary drinking-water standards. Water from the bottommost sample interval in the lower part of the lower Midville aquifer (900 to 930 feet) contained manganese and iron concentrations of 59.1 and 1,160 micrograms per liter, respectively, which exceeded secondary drinking-water standards. Because this interval contributed only 0.1 percent of the total flow to the well, water quality of this interval had little effect on the composite well water quality. Two other sample intervals from the Midville aquifer system and the total flow from both aquifer systems contained iron concentrations that slightly exceeded the secondary drinking-water standard of 300 micrograms per liter.
|Title||Hydrogeology and water quality of the Dublin and Midville aquifer systems at Waynesboro, Burke County, Georgia, 2011|
|Publication Subtype||USGS Numbered Series|
|Series Title||Scientific Investigations Report|
|Record Source||USGS Publications Warehouse|
|USGS Organization||South Atlantic Water Science Center|
Gerard J Gonthier
Gerard J Gonthier