As part of the U.S. Department of Defense Base Realignment and Closure process, the former Fort Benjamin Harrison in Marion County, Indiana (called 'Fort Harrison' in this fact sheet), was placed on the Base Closure List in 1991. Property disposal and reuse activities began when Fort Harrison was decommissioned in 1995; work continues through 1999. Fort Harrison was located on approximately 2,500 acres about 10 miles northeast of downtown Indianapolis, Ind., in the City of Lawrence (fig. 1). Since 1903, the installation served as a major training facility that at times included schools, a hospital, and Army Finance and Soldier Support Centers. In 1996, the Army leased 1,700 acres of woodland and recreational facilities to the Indiana Department of Natural Resources as Fort Harrison State Park. Another 550 acres became privately owned for industrial, commercial, and residential purposes.
|Title||Hydrogeologic investigations by the U.S. Geological Survey at the former Fort Benjamin Harrison, Marion County, Indiana|
|Authors||Martin R. Risch|
|Publication Subtype||USGS Numbered Series|
|Series Title||Fact Sheet|
|Record Source||USGS Publications Warehouse|
|USGS Organization||Indiana Water Science Center|