Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season runs from June 1 through November 30. Throughout the season, the U.S. Geological Survey will be providing science that can help guide efforts to protect lives and property if a storm threatens the U.S. 

Forecasters are calling for a very active Atlantic hurricane season this year. There is a 10% chance of a near-normal season, a 85% chance of an above-normal season and a 5% chance of a below-normal season, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Climate Prediction Center’s 2023 Atlantic hurricane season forecast. NOAA’s forecast calls for 17 to 25 named storms with winds of 39 mph or higher, with eight to 13 of those possibly becoming hurricanes with winds of 74 mph or higher, and four to seven possibly becoming major hurricanes with winds of 111 mph or higher. 

Two people on sandy beach digging up a fence post
Mira Anderberg and Marie Bartlett dig up a fence post that had a pressure sensor attached to measure storm surge and flooding during Hurricane Lee in 2023. USGS image by Chris Sherwood. 

When a hurricane or tropical storm threatens to make landfall in the U.S. or its territories, the USGS has a suite of comprehensive scientific capabilities that can inform decision-makers, emergency managers and communities as they prepare for, respond to and recover from a storm. This includes the USGS’s ability to forecast coastal change; track storm surge and coastal flooding; measure river levels and flow and inland flooding across entire regions; determine the extent floodwaters may have spread non-native species; and coordinate and provide access to hazards data, tools, imagery, elevation data, maps, and other pertinent information used by local, state, and federal agencies responding to storms.

USGS experts are prepared this season, with improved science, ongoing research and state-of-the-art technology to face hurricanes head on. These strategies will provide emergency managers and decision-makers across the nation with the essential information needed to minimize flood risks and safeguard lives and properties for this hurricane season and for years to come.

Learn more about the USGS hurricane science:  Hurricanes | U.S. Geological Survey (

Be Prepared for the 2024 Hurricane Season!

For information on how to prepare for hurricanes, or a range of other disasters and emergencies, visit or for Spanish. For more information about USGS science or hurricanes, visit these websites: 

USGS Hurricanes – USGS hurricane science and outreach products for current and past storms

USGS Coastal Change Hazards: Hurricanes and Extreme Storms – Provides information on coastal change 

USGS National Water Dashboard – Allows easy access to local flood and weather info on a smartphone or computer 

USGS Flood Information – Provides information about current and past flooding

USGS WaterAlert - Sends email or text message updates from the USGS streamgage of your choice 

USGS WaterWatch - Provides current USGS water data for the nation 

USGS Flood Event Viewer – Provides convenient, map-based access to downloadable event-based data

USGS Flood and Storm Tracker Maps – Allows users to view online maps of where storms might have spread non-native aquatic species

NOAA’s National Hurricane Center - Offers information about current or past hurricanes


The USGS provides science for a changing world. Learn more at or follow us on Facebook @USGeologicalSurvey, YouTube @USGS, Instagram @USGS, or Twitter @USGS.




Get Our News

These items are in the RSS feed format (Really Simple Syndication) based on categories such as topics, locations, and more. You can install and RSS reader browser extension, software, or use a third-party service to receive immediate news updates depending on the feed that you have added. If you click the feed links below, they may look strange because they are simply XML code. An RSS reader can easily read this code and push out a notification to you when something new is posted to our site.