The “USGS Topo Base Map” service named “USGS Topo” has been refreshed with new data and design changes. In addition, several of the “Data Availability”, or “Data Index” services have new cloud hosted URLs.
Enhancements to The National Map
This update to the online Topographic Base Map from The National Map was made public earlier this month and continues to be available to support many applications. Explore it in the National Map Viewer here .
Some of the many enhancements to the USGS Topo Base Map base map include:
- Refreshed with latest large-scale data
- Added Wild and Scenic Rivers
- Improved shaded relief, using September 2018 “USGSShadedRelief” cache
- Improved hydrography symbology from the National Hydrography Dataset (NHD)
- Added small-scale data from USGS Ecosystems
- Added more landform labels
The “USGS Topo Base Map” service is built from downloadable, publicly available datasets from The National Map. The service is available as both an Esri REST service enabling its use in ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Online, and as a Web Map Tile Service (WMTS) for inclusion into many other interactive mapping applications. Service URL.
Summary of changes to service endpoints
New Cloud Endpoint
- US Topo Availability Index: https://index.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services/USTopoAvailability/MapServer
- 3DEP Elevation Data Availability Index: https://index.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services/3DEPElevationIndex/MapServer
Former Internal Endpoints Planned for Retirement
- US Topo Availability Index: https://services.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services/UsTopoAvailabilityMapServer
- 3DEP Elevation Data Availability Index:: https://services.nationalmap.gov/arcgis/rest/services/3DEPElevationIndex/MapServer
USGS will provide a transition period through November 30, 2018. The previous endpoints from USGS servers will continue to be publicly accessible during this transition period. Users will need to use the new Cloud service endpoints to access these dynamic services after the transition period ends. In addition, users consuming the services from the previous endpoints may need to update application configurations for display of the desired layers.
A full list of Web based map services is available from The National Map. Developers using USGS National Map web map services now have an easy way to stay in touch with any upcoming changes to our map services through subscribing to a new National Map Simple Notification Service (SNS) https://apps.nationalmap.gov/notifications/.
As one of the cornerstones of the U.S. Geological Survey's (USGS) National Geospatial Program, The National Map is a collaborative effort among the USGS and other Federal, State, and local partners to improve and deliver topographic information for the Nation. It has many uses ranging from recreation to scientific analysis to emergency response.
For any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this update, contact email@example.com.
Get Our News
These items are in the RSS feed format (Really Simple Syndication) based on categories such as topics, locations, and more. You can install and RSS reader browser extension, software, or use a third-party service to receive immediate news updates depending on the feed that you have added. If you click the feed links below, they may look strange because they are simply XML code. An RSS reader can easily read this code and push out a notification to you when something new is posted to our site.