Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Lassen Volcano Observatory, 1926

1926 (approx.)

Detailed Description

The original Lassen Volcano Observatory building, provided by the US Forest Service, about 1926. The observatory consisted of a small office over a 10x10 ft concrete cellar which housed two custom-built seismographs. A small cottage nearby housed Ruy H. Finch, the head of and sole scientist at the Observatory for much of its existence. (Photo by R.H. Finch from Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, v. 18, 1928)


Public Domain.