Liberty Cap

Liberty Cap

Detailed Description

Liberty Cap is a remnant of a travertine spring mound. It rises above the landscape near Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel. Mammoth Hot Springs was the site of old Fort Yellowstone, when the park was under the supervision of the War Department. In 1884 the hotel accommodated 800 guests. Frank Jay Haynes started a photographic shop in town in 1884. Commercial horse-drawn stagecoaches began bringing more than 20,000 visitors a year to the park in 1898 (Corriel, 2008; Culpin, 2003). Mammoth Hot Springs (town) is currently home to park headquarters.

Details

Image Dimensions: 800 x 849

Location Taken: US