Tarpaper Shacks in Menlo Park, California
East front of the tarpaper shacks on the USGS Menlo Park campus, circa 1965 (with Chevy Corvair and 1950 Ford). During the early 1960s, three of the key scientists working on the theory of magnetic reversals operated in the Rock Magnetics Laboratory that was housed in these shacks. The Rock Magnetics Laboratory was designated a National Historic Landmark on October 12, 1994.
For more information, see the USGS film “Secrets in Stone” online.
Image Dimensions: 2544 x 1745
Location Taken: Menlo Park, CA, US