PubTalk 10/2005 – Earthquake Storms
The Very Long Reach of Very Large Earthquakes
by Susan Hough, Seismologist
- How did the 1992 Landers quake in the remote Mojave Desert change scientists' thinking about earthquake sequences?
- What is the explanation for "aftershocks" of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake reported in Arizona?
- How do large quakes shake up distant faults and volcanic areas ?
- Are new theories of earthquake interactions making the conventional terminology-- foreshock, mainshock, aftershock--inadequate?
- Do large earthquakes have a long reach on human cultures as well?