PubTalk 11/2002 — What is a Butterfly Worth?
Challenge of Making Economic Estimates for Biodiversity
by Alicia Torregrosa, Geographer and Ecologist
- How can we best strike a balance between vineyard development and wildlife in the Napa Valley?
- Geographic Information System (GIS) facilitates comparing the "apples and oranges" of endangered species and the value of real estate
- Linking GIS layers and models gives them added meaning and value
- Such data layers are part of biodiversity software being developed by NatureServe
- This software will help decisionmakers evaluate alternative land-use choices