PubTalk 12/2006 - Mojave
Title: The Mojave National Preserve: Geology and Water Shape Desert Plant Communities
- One of the largest units in the National Park System, the Mojave National Preserve was established in 1994
- The Preserve encompasses great sand dunes (including "singing sands"), young volcanic features, forests of Joshua trees, and fields of wildflowers
- Maps of the surface geology can predict the distribution of vegetation types
- How do the different ways soils accept rainwater affect plant communities?
- Learn how USGS researchers are modeling the relations of geology, water, and desert plants